Sunday, November 9, 2008

Fuel System


The original gas tank was in bad shape. it had holes in the top from rubbing against the bed, and it was filled with old, sticky gas. I took the original tank to a radiator shop to see if they could get the old gas out and patch up the holes, but they said it was beyond repair. so I decided to retrofit a gas tank from a Ram Charger I found in the junk yard. There are several advantages to this gas tank. it is plastic, so it won't rust through. It holds about 13 more gallons, so I won't run out of gas as often. and the parts for it are available at most Chrysler dealerships.

I had to make a few modifications for it to work. I had to drill two new holes so the straps would hold it up

I also had to create a new pipe for the filler neck. I cut up the filler neck from the Ram Charger and welded it so it would lead to the gas tank.

the old fuel line was clogged with old gas, so I replaced the whole thing. there was a section that was pretty tight, so I had to snake it through along the fram rail (not shown).
I had to run the fuel line under the engine to get it to the fuel pump. I attached it to the engine support. the shaft on the left runs the PTO winch.














No comments: